Boost your Immunity with these Simple Ingredients
The immune system has a vital role. It protects your body from harmful germs, bacteria, parasites and viruses. It’s extra important in these trying times that we do our best to support our immune system and keep it strong.
We’ve compiled a list of one-ingredient items and a few simple recipes to kick start your immune system.
Immunity boosting ingredients for any meal
- Citrus Fruits: Vitamin C is thought to increase white blood cells which are key to fighting infections. Try to incorporate oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons, limes, and clementines. Freshly squeeze some of these fruits into a juice or chop some up into your smoothie for an immunity kick!
- Spinach: Did you know spinach is packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and beta carotene? These nutrients help increase the strength of our immune system and are best retained when they are cooked very lightly.
- Garlic: Raw and uncooked garlic has been used for centuries to wipe out bacteria and infections. Not just a seasoning for your favorite meal, it can also help boost T-cells in your bloodstream which fight off infections and viruses.
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt and those that have “live and active cultures” help stimulate your immune system. it’s a source of lactobacillus, a probiotic that fights off infections and viruses. Buy plain yogurts and top it off with your favorite fruits and nuts for added nutrients.
- Ginger: Ginger has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that help boost the immune system and protect it against free radicals. Also packed with vitamin A, B, C, and E you can easily add it to your diet by eating it fresh or chopping up and boiling in hot water as a tea.
- Turmeric: Found in many powders, teas, and curries, turmeric has become very popular for its anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin is the orange-yellow component of turmeric that has been known to regulate T-cells and B-cells. Grab a turmeric tea at your local grocery store or add a teaspoon to your morning coffee as a simple way to boost overall immunity.
Simple immunity boosting recipes
Golden Milk Latte Recipe
This Golden Milk Latte is a great way to reap the benefits of turmeric into a tasty and easy-to-make drink. Adjust the recipe to your liking and feel free to get creative by adding cinnamon, agave or even add fresh ginger.
- 1 teaspoon of powdered turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups milk of your choice (dairy or non-dairy alternatives)
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (optional) to sweeten
- Blend all the ingredients, except ground black pepper and honey into a small saucepan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the pepper, stir to combine.
- Pour into a mug and add honey as needed.
Recipe by: https://wellnessmama.com
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe:
This Carrot Ginger soup is packed with carrots, ginger, orange juice and turmeric which are all known for their immunity and anti-inflammatory effects. We promise you’ll be asking for seconds!
- 1 1/2 cups broth of choice (we recommend veggie/chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and carrots and cook until softened.
- Now move everything into the blender and add the ginger, orange juice, turmeric, vegetable broth, salt and freshly ground pepper. Puree until blend looks smooth.
- Pour into bowls to serve and feel free to garnish with anything you like.
Recipe by: https://www.delishknowledge.com
All of these ingredients and recipes are not only delicious but also great for boosting your immunity. We hope everyone stays healthy during these uncertain times. Try these out and let us know what you think!