Tips for Fitness and Wellness During Social Distancing
As we navigate these uncertain times, it’s more important to us than ever that we stay connected to our mission to inspire people to live their best and healthiest lives. We’ve put together a list of fitness and overall wellness tips for you to stay in shape, accountable and at your healthiest during this time.
Fitness tips while at home
1. Create a daily schedule
I know it’s tempting to go for a bag of chips and chill on the couch with Netflix all day, but making sure you stick to a workout schedule is important. Set up a time each day that you will spend 30-60 mins pumping up your heart and breaking a sweat.
2. Forget the equipment
Use a little imagination when looking for workout equipment around the house. Think of water bottles as weights or paper towels as gliders. You may feel a little ridiculous, but you’ll feel even better after crushing a workout!
3. Utilize the many online workout apps
In the age of virtual workouts, YouTube and Fitness Apps are plentiful! Many fitness/trainers and influencers have 7-14 day free trials, allowing you time to find the best app for you. YouTube is especially nice – search your ideal workout and follow along for free from the comfort of your own home. Make sure to switch it up! With all of the choices, keep it fresh trying everything from dance cardio to yoga and floor pilates.
Check out Omax Health’s YouTube Channel.
Great fitness apps we recommend:
- XPT: Discover a high-performance lifestyle with the XPT App, rooted in cutting-edge fitness modalities that empower the human mind and body to achieve peak performance. Try it free here.
- PlyoJam: Train like an athlete and dance like a popstar. Get 24/7 access to dance, strength, stretch and core workouts here
- Tone It Up: With Studio Tone It Up, it’s so easy to take workout classes with your girlfriends wherever you are, make new connections, track your workouts and goals, and receive endless support, encouragement, and love from this team! Try it here.
Keeping well at home
Connect with the ones you love from afar. With technology, it’s easier than ever to pick up the phone or even Facetime. Don’t isolate yourself even if you are stuck at home. Surrounding yourself with loved ones, even virtually, can boost healing hormones that keep you healthy and happy.
2. Practice mindfulness
Close your eyes, acknowledge your body, and deep breathe. Count to 3 as you inhale, hold for 3 seconds, then count to 3 as you exhale. Take up a meditation practice. There are great recorded meditations on both the App Store and YouTube.
Great meditation apps we recommend:
- Calm: Find Your Calm. Sleep more. Stress less. Live better. Try it here
- Headspace: Learn to meditate with our free Basics pack, a 10-day beginner’s course that guides you through the essentials of meditation and mindfulness. It’ll give you a solid foundation to build your practice on.Try it here
While, yes, it’s important to stay informed, turn off the news for a bit. When you do need to check updates, it’s best to either read a newspaper and/or one reputable source as opposed to the rumors spread by social media. Don’t panic. It’s okay to take a few hours away from the constant negative messaging.
4. Learn a new skill, hobby, or passion
With extra alone time on hand, it’s a great moment to try something new that you’ve always been wanting to do. Improve upon your baking, pick up that guitar, learn a language or listen to some music. Don’t forget to feed your soul.
Stay safe and consider these tips for a healthy & stress-free social distancing.